4.10.2013

Teaching Writing

I must say that one of the biggest challenges I face as an English teacher is teaching writing.  Ninth grade students come to me in August with a vast range of abilities in all aspects, but writing is one of the most prominent areas of discrepancy.  Some students write like a college student (or beyond), while others can barely string together a coherent sentence.  Writing comes naturally to some students; to others, it is a chore, and because of that, they don't practice enough to get better.

In Jim Burke's English Teacher's Companion, he devotes an entire section to teaching writing.  Reading this chapter has helped me immensely, and I have gotten a great deal of inspiration on how to incorporate an effective writing curriculum in my classroom.  In his book, he explains what a good writing program should include, which involves giving students ample time and opportunity to practice writing and also expose them to other students' writing to help guide them.  He suggests teaching students how to write a meaningful and well-developed paragraph, which will make stringing multiple paragraphs together a bit more manageable.

A couple of innovative ideas Burke suggest include a group essay and having students write in response to various texts of their choice, both literary and visual.  Both of these ideas provide students with a fresh perspective about writing, making them more willing to both participate and become engaged in the activity.

Teaching writing, a once daunting challenge for me, is now something I have begun to look at with a fresh perspective.  The more excited and enthusiastic students are about writing, the more interesting and enjoyable their writing will be for me to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment