4.24.2013

What's on your reading list?

I think every teacher looks forward to those two magic words: summer break.  I also think that every teacher (well, every dedicated teacher anyway) does much more work over summer break than he or she intends.  Call me crazy, but the thought of planning for a new school year with no other commitments (grading papers, sponsoring club meetings, calling parents, etc.) hanging over our heads is almost exciting.  This summer I plan to focus on two things:  incorporating more technology in the classroom and becoming a better teacher of writing.  I feel the coursework of this class has given me tons of great ideas for the former.  As for the latter, I plan on reading some professional books that will hopefully guide me toward strategies that will help me help my students hone their writing skills.

To that end, there are a few books I hope to read:

  • Write Like This: Teaching Real-World Writing Through Modeling and Mentor Texts by Kelly Gallagher
  • Writing Reminders by Jim Burke
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims With Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning by George Hillocks, Jr.





No comments:

Post a Comment